11/12/2011

Installation for "Denied and Underexposed"


I have been hoping to do a large-scale installation for a long time. I finally found the opportunity with the Denied and Underexposed Art Show that happened Friday night in the Kress building downtown.
The Kress is basically one giant room that stretches all the way through its city block from the famous Dexter Ave to Monroe Street. Because of this, I decided to create a ceiling plane that would offer a sense of intimacy and enclosure that could not be found elsewhere in the space. My first decision was materiality. I quickly picked card stock paper mainly because that's all I could afford but also for its potential to reflect and diffuse light. One intention for the installation was for it to create juxtaposition between itself and the space. Against the Kress' strict structural rhythm and derelict finishes would be the prestine-ness of white paper arranged in an expressive, organic form. I experimented with card stock sheets using cuts and folds to create a module with shape, structure, and opening.


I decided on a pattern that creates a smooth curvature, a defined crease, and a system of notching to hold the pieces together. I created four iterations of the module pattern that vary in the degree of curvature and consequently scale of opening. I used 390 of these paper modules to create a 14'X16' surface.
  

I took on a little more than I should have, which I have a tendency to do, and spent every spare moment of this last week trying to finish the piece. Thanks to a couple nights of less than 3 hours of sleep, some vacation hours from work, and the help of my friends Mike and Scott, I actually finished in time. The show was a blast, and I'm already looking to the next opportunity to do another installation.

7 comments:

  1. Nick that's fantastic! How long will the installation be in place - I think I'll have to make a special trip to Montgomery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how long it will be up... hopefully for a little while. I'll get back to you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! The photos are nice, but seeing it in person was even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nick, it's stunning. just as i knew it would be. it's just beautiful... i feel like it's every designer's dream to do a ceiling installation- i know it's mine! i would love to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea this installation was your work! AWESOME! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks guys! April, that's why they call Montgomery the "Capital of Dreams" haha. We'll collaborate on the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I found myself "looking up" into the photos as if I was actually trying to look at it from below :o) Love the repeated pattern of movement.

    Just wanted to be sure to stop by and say...Happy, happy, happy thanksgiving today and every day! Hugs to all the family!

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete